I own a historic home. Do I need special insurance?

By Insurance.com Posted : 01/01/2011

A standard home insurance policy will pay for repairs if your home is damaged or destroyed up to the estimated replacement cost. But it won't necessarily pay to replace everything with historically authentic materials and fine craftsmanship. You need specialized coverage to guarantee a historic home will be restored to its original splendor.

Let Insurance.com help you find affordable home insurance now.

Work with an insurance company that specializes in insuring historic buildings. The process should start with a detailed appraisal by an expert in historic architecture to identify the unique materials and features in the home.

An insurance agent who specializes in working with owners of historic homes can then design a policy that fully protects the home and all the features that give it character--from stained glass windows to hand-carved molding. Because a policy for a historic home includes higher limits for replacement, it costs more than a standard home insurance policy. But the extra expense is worth it if you don't want to risk losing the home's unique character.

Remember: get insurance coverage for the antiques and fine art

Make sure the policy also includes enough coverage for personal belongings. Standard home insurance policies include limits on certain items, such as antiques and fine art. Make sure the historic-home insurance policy accounts for these belongings and insures their full value.

As with standard home insurance, specialized coverage for historic houses also includes additional living expenses. This pays your extra costs if you have to live elsewhere while the home is undergoing repairs after an insured loss. Make sure the limit on the time period for additional living expenses is long enough to accommodate rebuilding. The construction period to restore a destroyed historic home will likely take longer than reconstruction of an ordinary house.

For more, see "Insuring your historic home."


Related Articles on Insurance.com

1 Responses to "I own a historic home. Do I need special insurance?"
  1. Mark Stephens 02, Mar, 2013

    I have an Historic home, built about in 1863, I would like to know how much about 150,000 of coverage would be. the home is a little over 4500 sq with almost 13foot walls and celing. With two dog trouts. porches on 3 sides. Home is Lauderdale Mississippi, It is taking a lot on money to fix the home back to the way it was in the 1800! Right now only have 65,000. on the home needing to incresse it alot. Repaires or very high to get the home back into the condition as it once was! No Woood burning stoves in home!I have a fire hidrent in my yard for the block!


What do you think? You can add a helpful comment to this page by filling out the form below.
Just looking for a quote? Click here

Quote & Compare

Want to bundle home and auto insurance for potential discounts?

you're all set.

One of our newsletters
should arrive in your inbox
soon - keep an eye out for it!