What insurance do I need to cover my laptop computer?

By Insurance.com Posted : 01/01/2011

The coverage you choose depends on how you use the computer and its value. If the laptop is for personal use, then your home or renters insurance policy would cover the laptop, even if it were stolen out of your car or at the airport.

Let Insurance.com help you find affordable home insurance now.

However, keep in mind home and renters insurance limit the coverage amount for valuables, such as jewelry, furs, sports, musical instruments and computer equipment. If you have a lot of expensive computer equipment, including a laptop, consider purchasing additional coverage through an endorsement on the policy or a "floater." A floater is separate insurance and provides additional coverage and is based on the appraised value of the item. It also provides coverage for hazards not included in home insurance policies, such as accidental loss.

You could consider a standalone insurance policy through a company that specializes in insuring laptops and other computer equipment. Besides protecting the computer from natural disasters, vandalism and theft, some policies also cover accidental damage and liquid damage.

If the computer is for business purposes, then you might not have coverage through your home insurance policy. If the computer belongs to your employer, then your employer's insurance should cover the laptop. If you're self-employed, then talk to an insurance agent about a commercial policy to cover business equipment and provide professional liability protection.

For more, see "Home insurance: How much is your stuff worth?"

Related Articles on Insurance.com

Quote & Compare

Want to bundle home and auto insurance for potential discounts?

you're all set.

One of our newsletters
should arrive in your inbox
soon - keep an eye out for it!