Does home insurance cover all exterior elements?

By Insurance.com Posted : 01/01/2011

A standard home insurance policy features several parts, including coverage of the home and detached structures, such as:

Let Insurance.com help you find affordable home insurance now.

  • Garage
  • Shed
  • Swimming pool
  • Guest house

A standard policy may also provide some limited coverage for landscaping. You can obtain additional coverage for landscaping by purchasing an endorsement on the home insurance policy.

Keep in mind, though, that home insurance does not provide coverage for some types of losses, such as damage from floods and earthquakes. You need separate policies or riders to provide insurance for damages not covered by the standard policy.

Additional home insurance coverage

In addition to the home and "other structures," home insurance also provides coverage for things such as:

  • Personal belongings
  • Additional living expenses if you can't live in the home following a disaster
  • Financial protection against lawsuits
  • Coverage of medical bills for guests who are injured at your home

It's important to let your insurance company know about all the amenities on your property to make sure you have enough coverage. If you have a swimming pool or hot tub, for instance, you probably should purchase additional liability protection through an umbrella insurance policy in case someone is injured and sues you.

For more, see "Alphabet soup: 6 home insurance policies and what they cover."

Related Articles on Insurance.com

Quote & Compare

Want to bundle home and auto insurance for potential discounts?

you're all set.

One of our newsletters
should arrive in your inbox
soon - keep an eye out for it!