Help! Someone crashed into my riding mower

By Sheryl Nance-Nash Posted : 05/24/2012

mower insuranceHelp! Someone crashed into my riding mower


You covet the color green. When it comes to your lawn, you spare no expense. Keeping it beautiful, though, requires much work that is best left to a riding mower that costs a small fortune. What if one of your beloved trees crashes on the mower, or somehow a wayward driver hits it?

Again, your homeowners insurance policy comes to your rescue. Home insurance policies generally cover liability and physical damage for riding mowers, with some conditions attached. The mower must be used to care for your residence, must not be driven off the premises and can't be licensed for road use.

While no special riders are needed, pay attention to any personal property coverage limitations, says Ronda Sloan, spokeswoman for the Kentucky Department of Insurance's Commissioner's Office. Typically, coverage for personal property is 50 percent to 70 percent of the amount of insurance you buy for your home's structure.

Related Articles on Insurance.com

Quote & Compare

Want to bundle home and auto insurance for potential discounts?

you're all set.

One of our newsletters
should arrive in your inbox
soon - keep an eye out for it!