Erie Car Insurance Company
Erie is named after the town in which it got its start -- Erie, Pennsylvania -- in 1925. Erie has expanded into 12 states located across the Mid-Atlantic, Midwest and South plus offers policies in the District of Columbia. They are a Fortune 500 company with over 5 million policies in force. The company’s mantra is “Above all in sERvIcE,” playing on how the word service has the word Erie in it.
Erie services consumers with perks like pet coverage that automatically included in an auto policy. It covers if your pet get injured when in an auto accident while riding in your vehicle. Erie also offers a rate lock feature that locks your premium rate in and will only change if you make changes to the policy, such as adding or removing a driver or vehicle or move. Its mobile app, “Erie Your Turn,” is a rewards-based telematics program for young drivers ages 16 to 23. It is designed to help them become better drivers by providing advice on how to improve driving habits and also rewards good driving behaviors.
Erie Insurance claimed 1.29 percent of the private passenger auto market share in 2017 according to data are from the National Association of Insurance Commissioner's (NAIC) database. This ranks Erie as the 12th largest auto insurance carrier.
Types of coverage
Offerings can vary by state
- Classic, antique and special interest autos
- Recreational Vehicles
- Golf carts
- Trail bikes
- Off-road motorcycles
- Mobile home
- Personal values
- Umbrella (personal catastrophe) liability
- Identity theft recovery coverage
- Business insurance
Erie auto insurance discounts
Offerings vary by state. Some features may be optional.
- Safe driver – Receive a discount for having a good driving record.
- Multi-car – A discount is offered if you insure more than one vehicle on your auto policy. All vehicles in the household must be owned and used by the insured driver for discount to apply.
- Age 55 or over – Mature, experienced drivers may receive a discount.
- Car safety discounts – Can receive discounts for factory-installed safety equipment such as anti-lock brakes, air bags and passive restraints.
- Anti-theft devices – Discounts may apply for a device that will deter thieves or help recover a stolen vehicle.
- Multi-policy – Typical multi-policy discount, for having two or more policies with Erie is around 20 percent.
- Reduced usage discount – If you don’t use your vehicle for at least 90 consecutive days during your policy period, you could be eligible for a discount.
- Annual payment plan – Save by paying your auto insurance premium in one lump sum.
- Young driver discounts – discounts of between 4 and 20 percent are offered to young drivers by Erie
- Youthful driver - Drivers who are under 21 and unmarried living at home parents may be eligible for a discount.
- Youthful longevity discount – Unmarried young driver can receive a credit for the consecutive years spent insured under another Erie auto policy, such as a parent’s policy.
- Driver training discount – Young drivers under age 21 who have completed an accredited driver training course may receive a discount.
- College Student – Available if your child is living away from home while attending school and does not have access to a car.
Claims and contact information
Not all companies/options/discounts available in all states/situations. This description is an example and is subject to change. Verify all details before purchase. Logos, trademarks and service marks are owned by the respective companies represented on this web page.