Call our licensed agents toll free 844.855.0163
Go To Top
Why you should trust is dedicated to informing, educating, and empowering you to make confident insurance decisions. Our content is carefully reviewed by insurance experts, and we rely on a data-driven approach to create unbiased, accurate insurance recommendations. maintains editorial integrity through strict independence from insurance companies.

Home insurance in Washington is well below the national average at $1,659 a year, based on a 2022 rate analysis. The cheapest Washington home insurance company is PEMCO, at an average of $919 a year, but each home is different, and shopping around is the best way to save.’s team of experts reviewed Washington home insurance companies and rates by coverage level, ZIP code, and city. Read on to see how you can get the best home insurance in Washington.

What is the average home insurance cost in Washington?

The average home insurance cost in Washington is $1,659 a year. Washington is the 11th least-expensive state in the country for home insurance. The average cost of home insurance policy, based on’s 2022 data, is $499 less (23% lower) than the national average of $2,158 for the following coverage levels:

  • $300,000 dwelling coverage
  • $1,000 deductible
  • $300,000 liability

How much is homeowners insurance in Washington by coverage level?

Before we dive into the other research on costs and companies, you need to know what you’re buying and why. A home insurance policy includes coverage for:

  • Dwelling
  • Liability
  • Medical payments

Policies also usually have a set percentage of your dwelling coverage for:

  • Other structures – 10%
  • Personal property – 50%
  • Loss of use – 20%

Now that you know how different components of policy work to protect you, here we show the average cost of Washington homeowners insurance for 10 coverage levels, based on a 2022 rate analysis by

Rates for dwelling coverage ranging from $200,000 to $600,000, a $1,000 deductible and liability limits of $100,000 or $300,000. As you can see, the difference in price between low liability limits and the recommended higher amount is negligible, less than $20.

Coverage setAverage premium
$200,000 with $100,000 Liability$1,298
$200,000 with $300,000 Liability$1,313
$300,000 with $100,000 Liability$1,643
$300,000 with $300,000 Liability$1,659
$400,000 with $100,000 Liability$2,036
$400,000 with $300,000 Liability$2,054
$500,000 with $100,000 Liability$2,428
$500,000 with $300,000 Liability$2,448
$600,000 with $100,000 Liability$2,789
$600,000 with $300,000 Liability$2,811

Best home insurance companies in Washington

The following are the best homeowners insurance companies of the national companies that do business in Washington, based on the J.D. Power ratings, A.M Best ratings and also’s 2022 national rankings.

Company nameJ.D. Power ratingA.M best rating (out of 5)
State Farm829A++3.5

USAA offers insurance only to military veterans and their families.

Cost of Washington homeowners insurance by city

Below we provide rates for Seattle homeowners insurance, as well as nine other cities in Washington.

CityAverage rate$ Difference from state average of $1,659
Seattle$1,543$116 less
Bellevue$1,579$80 less
Spokane$1,582$77 less
Kent$1,587$72 less
Federal way$1,601$58 less
Everett$1,603$56 less
Vancouver$1,642$17 less
Renton$1,650$9 less
Spokane Valley$1,663$4 more
Tacoma$1,705$46 more

Homeowners insurance in Washington comparison by ZIP code

Enter your ZIP code in the search box to see the average home insurance rate for that area, as well as the highest and lowest premium fielded from major insurers. This will give you an idea of how much you can save by comparing home insurance rates.


Average home insurance rates in CALIFORNIA

94404 - Foster City
Dwelling $200,000, Deductible $1,000 and Liability $100,000.



Most & least expensive zip codes for homeowners insurance in California

Most Expensive

Zip CodeCityHighest Rate
92391Twin Peaks$1,426
92321Cedar Glen$1,425
92352Lake Arrowhead$1,423

Least Expensive

Zip CodeCityLowest Rate
95051Santa Clara$743

Homeowners insurance in Washington by company

It's crucial to shop around for the best home insurance rate, because prices for the same coverage vary by hundreds of dollars. Many factors affect home insurance rates, and each carrier uses its own method to weigh those factors, which is why prices differ so much.

Below are average home insurance rates from top companies for a policy with $300,000 in dwelling and liability coverages with a $1,000 deductible.

CompanyAverage premium
Farmers Insurance$1,584
State Farm$1,596

Washington home insurance discounts

There are several ways to reduce your Washington home insurance costs. Many insurers will lower your bill if you purchase more than one type of insurance policy from them. Bundling insurance can cut your costs by up to 19%, on average, according to’s 2022 discount data analysis.

Other home insurance discounts include:

  • Installing smoke detectors or a burglar alarm: 2% for smoke detectors, 4% for a burglar alarm.
  • Installing a sprinkler system and a fire alarm: 4%-6%.
  • Loyalty discounts: 4% on average after three to five years and 7% for 10 years or more.

Frequently asked questions: Washington home insurance

What is the Washington FAIR Plan?

If you are unable to find coverage in the private market, the Washington FAIR ("Fair Access to Insurance Requirements") plan is the state's insurance option of last resort for those who can’t get homeowners insurance from the standard insurance market in Washington. It assigns policies to insurance companies.

The FAIR Plan provides basic fire insurance coverage for homes that don’t qualify on the open market. All home insurance companies must participate.

How do I file a complaint about a Washington insurance company?

The Washington state Office of the Insurance Commissioner (OIC) protects insurance consumers and oversees the insurance industry. If you have a problem with your insurance company, file a complaint with the OIC for assistance.

Do I need earthquake insurance in Washington?

A standard homeowners policy does not protect against earthquake damage. It’s a good idea to buy a separate earthquake policy or add an earthquake endorsement to your homeowner policy, but not required.

Should I get landslide insurance in Washington?

A standard homeowners policy will not cover damage caused by land movement or a landslide due to rain runoff, snowmelt, flooding and earthquakes

You may be able to purchase a difference in conditions (DIC) policy to protect against landslides. This type of coverage is available in areas with a particular risk of natural disaster. Speak to an insurance professional to find out more.

Does homeowners insurance cover volcanoes?

A standard HO-3 home insurance policy will cover damage from a volcanic eruption.

Do I need flood insurance in Washington?

If your property is located in a flood-prone area (a "Special Flood Hazard Area"), your lender will likely require that you carry flood insurance. Even if you live in a minimal or moderate flood hazard area, you may still want to consider a flood insurance policy. Floods are not covered by standard homeowners insurance.

Flood insurance can be purchased in the private market or is widely available through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).

Methodology commissioned 2022 home insurance rates from Quadrant Data Services fielded across all Washington ZIP codes. Rates were fielded at multiple coverage levels with a deductible of $1,000.

See How Much You Can Save
See How Much You Can Save
Please enter valid zip
Want to bundle home and auto insurance for potential discounts?

You may also like to explore